The Only Ones - The Big Sleep

"Senor, Senor, do you know where we're headin'? Lincoln County Road or Armageddon?"
Oskar
Preternatural Poster
Preternatural Poster

The Only Ones - The Big Sleep

Post by Oskar » Tue May 15, 2012 9:31 pm

"This is going to be a damn masterpiece, when I finish dis..." - Poeterry

David

Re: The Only Ones - The Big Sleep

Post by David » Thu May 17, 2012 6:15 pm

Well, I have got through life thus far having (knowingly) heard only one Only Ones song, but this is not at all a bad second one to hear. Great guitar solo, which - extrapolating from my sample of two - may be a characteristic of the group. Is it?

John G
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster
antispam: no
Location: London born and bred now resident of West Yorkshire

Post by John G » Thu May 24, 2012 8:11 pm

here be a choice track from the only ones - and re: another girl another planet, one of the better songs about heroin?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNuOSCM9ShQ
After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say 'I want to see the manager.

Nicky B
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by Nicky B » Thu May 24, 2012 9:21 pm

I'm also enjoying being re-educated. I've always been quite keen on another girl (is it really about heroin? - passed me by that), but shamefully have never explored further - not bad.

For some obscure reason another girl always leads me to the psychedelic furs - must have been together on a mix-y tape. Apologies for the personal and oblique link, and thank you for the education.....

Oskar
Preternatural Poster
Preternatural Poster

Post by Oskar » Sun May 27, 2012 11:17 am

I don’t really know anything about them, apart from the songs on two of their albums that I’ve had hidden away in the back of a cupboard for ages. I think they’ve definitely got a recognisable sound, and very good one – if you can get past Peter Perrett’s rather thin vocals. Cheers, David.

You beat me to it, John. I was going to post that one next. Good song.

I see what you mean about ‘Pretty in Pink’, Nicky. The vocals on it sound very David Bowie to me.
"This is going to be a damn masterpiece, when I finish dis..." - Poeterry