1 in Amaryllis Poetry

The world outside PG

1 in Amaryllis Poetry

Postby Firebird » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:53 pm

Just had my ‘Hebog’ poem accepted by Amaryllis Poetry. The editor there (Stephen Daniels, a bit like Ros - a good poet as well as a good editor) responded within two hours. That’s what I like: a quick yes/no. And yes, he has said no in the past just as quickly.

Thanks all who helped with this poem. There were some valuable bits of advice.

Cheers,

Tristan
Firebird
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Re: 1 in Amaryllis Poetry

Postby Antcliff » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:30 pm

Congrats, Tristan

Two hours is a speedy turnaround.
We fray into the future, rarely wrought
Save in the tapestries of afterthought.
Richard Wilbur
Antcliff

Postby Firebird » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:09 pm

Thanks Seth! It’s the first acceptance I’ve had this year, so I was happy. Mind you, i haven’t submitted anything for quite some while.

On the subject of quick turnarounds, I was rejected in 3 mins by Riggwelter. It was a Friday night at 10.30pm, and I’m not saying that the very young editor was drunk somewhere, but 3 mins doesn’t seem a fair amount of time for any type of appraisal of anyone’s work. Won’t be submitting there again. I reckon she goes for names, as two of the poems I submitted were later accepted by a good online mag.

Cheers,

Tristan
Firebird
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Postby Ros » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:54 am

Congratulations, Tristan! (Thanks for the name-check!)

I know the editor of Riggwelter, though nothing of her editorial stance or what she's looking for. She does take it all very seriously, so I'd be surprised if she hadn't read your work with all due attention, if quickly. 3 minutes does seem a little speedy, I'd agree! I get complaints if I reject something within a day. But sometimes you do know immediately if something's going to be rejected - usually because it's rubbish, badly written, full of cliches, abstract emotions etc etc. I know that doesn't apply to you, so maybe the subject matter or the style just didn't appeal. Or maybe you're right, and she was drunk!

Ros
Rosencrantz: What are you playing at? Guildenstern: Words. Words. They're all we have to go on.

Postby Firebird » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:39 pm

Thanks Ros. What you say may well be right. I just thought 3 minutes was a little hasty. Obviously, a day or even a couple of hours is a different matter.

Cheers,

Tristan
Firebird
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Postby Ros » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:04 pm

Firebird wrote:Thanks Ros. What you say may well be right. I just thought 3 minutes was a little hasty. Obviously, a day or even a couple of hours is a different matter.

Cheers,

Tristan

Yes - the only time I've rejected anything that quickly was when it was entirely inappropriate (photos, stories, someone's entire 90 pages of drivel) and they obviously hadn't a clue as to what Antiphon was about. Anything reasonably written deserves at least a couple of reads with a bit of distance between them.
Rosencrantz: What are you playing at? Guildenstern: Words. Words. They're all we have to go on.

Postby Macavity » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:32 pm

Well done Tristan!

best

mac
Macavity
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Postby Firebird » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:45 pm

Thanks Mac.

Cheers,