Winnerz!!!

New Competition - ***MAPS***

Winnerz!!!

Postby bodkin » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:20 am

So we have winners!

In the traditional reverse order (although skipping the other tradition of making the announcement in classical Greek) we have:

3rd place:

bodkin (e.g. me :-)) with Psychoanalysis of Beautiful Fighting Girls

2nd place:

ros with I twist like this

So I win a hand-carved sense of vague dissatisfaction -- I'm sure I can find a good use for that!

Ros wins a year's supply of unusual adjectives (I've just looked and the first one is "not-easy-to-explain-like" ...)

And Luce wins the plaudits and an acclaim of the entire international poetry community* and an imaginary trophy!

(*those parts of it that read this board)

Well done everybody, some wonderfully creative entries here. We should try to have another competition before next Christmas...

Ian
http://www.ianbadcoe.uk/
bodkin

Location: Two inches behind my eyes just above the bridge of my nose.

Re: Winnerz!!!

Postby JJWilliamson » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:07 pm

Well done, Luce, for a close run thing. Thoroughly enjoyed your poem and the competition.

Ian! The comp's are a great idea and very inspirational. It gave me three new poems to work with. :roll: :lol:

Best

JJ
Long time a child and still a child
JJWilliamson
Preternatural Poster
Preternatural Poster

Postby David » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:27 pm

Yes, well done all (but especially Luce).

Two of my three votes coming in the top three there. (Albeit on a low turn-out, perhaps.)

Cheers

David
David

Postby Ros » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:52 pm

Well done Luce! A good competition, if a little hard to grasp.

Obviously we need another.

Ros
Rosencrantz: What are you playing at? Guildenstern: Words. Words. They're all we have to go on.

Postby bodkin » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:54 pm

How about we start a new competition almost immediately but run it a long time (two months, say) to let people really refine their entries.

Could also make it for slightly longer poems (or at any rate ones suited to being a bit longer)...

Any one have any ideas for a theme they'd like? Something a bit narrative? Sonnet sequences? Sequences in general?

Ian
bodkin

Postby Luce » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:59 pm

WOW!!!!! I WON??? COOL!

I love the imaginary trophy Ian. Right now it's on my imaginary mantle piece surrounded by imaginery red neon arrows all pointing to it.

Hugs to all XOXOXOXOXOXOXO who participated. Special thanks to Ian for coordinating the competition, my fellow poets for providing feedback, the board, my mother, my aloe plant. :lol:

Seriously folks, I'm overwhelmed by the honor. I didn't expect to win. I just wanted to join in the fun. It was enough for me that the poem inspired other poems I later wrote. The entry parameters encouraged me to look at language in a more bold way.

Luce
"Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee." - RIP Muhammad Ali (1942 - 2016)
Luce
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Postby Antcliff » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:37 pm

Congrats to Ian, Ros

And to our victor, Luce! :D

I also liked JJs

Seth
p.s. Is it true that the Russians hacked this election?
pps...yes, I am with, Ian. Time for a long(er) poem comp? Something a bit sequency?
We fray into the future, rarely wrought
Save in the tapestries of afterthought.
Richard Wilbur
Antcliff

Postby David » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:24 pm

Antcliff wrote:pps...yes, I am with, Ian. Time for a long(er) poem comp? Something a bit sequency?

I have been thinking of something sequency, so that would suit me very well.
David

Postby JJWilliamson » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:15 pm

I'm up for it.

How about voting as we go for each poem, finishing with an overall winner of winners vote.
Might help to sustain the interest and the prize could be even more magnificent.

JJ
JJWilliamson
Preternatural Poster
Preternatural Poster

Postby bodkin » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:42 pm

JJWilliamson wrote:I'm up for it.

How about voting as we go for each poem, finishing with an overall winner of winners vote.
Might help to sustain the interest and the prize could be even more magnificent.

JJ

I'm not sure how that would work in practice...

I don't want to tear down and reset the competitions board immediately, so shall we start a sequences competition in a couple of weeks? That will give us a while to work out the exact rules... we could end of the first day of spring, which seems to be March 20th this year...

Ian
bodkin

Postby Luce » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:17 pm

bodkin wrote:
JJWilliamson wrote:I'm up for it.

JJ

I'm not sure how that would work in practice...

I don't want to tear down and reset the competitions board immediately, so shall we start a sequences competition in a couple of weeks? That will give us a while to work out the exact rules... we could end of the first day of spring, which seems to be March 20th this year...

Ian

May I suggest you start the competition on April 1? April is National Poetry Month in the States.

The Critical Poet (now alas gone :( ) used to start a month long competition in April. Based on a daily prompt, you wrote a poem (one for each day in April). You had to hand it in by the end of that day. No prizes given, except for lasting the month with your mind still intact. We don't have to do that exactly. Just a thought.

Luce

P.S.- I have loads of prompts so I can help out with the daily prompts or folks can put in some favorite prompt before the competition starts. Maybe folks can put up to five to ten prompts with the organizers making the difference (if needed) and final prompt list.
Luce
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Postby bodkin » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:55 pm

I'm not sure that NaPoWriMo really deals like a competition in itself... E.g personally I produce far too many to judge, but we could suggest after the month each person enters their favourite couple from the month...
bodkin

Postby Ros » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:31 am

I think there are two ideas going on here - I'm very happy for us to run a NaPoWriMoHoHoHa or whatever it's called, particularly if various people can share the load of providing prompts. I think a comp should be something shorter and more specific.

Ros
Rosencrantz: What are you playing at? Guildenstern: Words. Words. They're all we have to go on.

Postby JJWilliamson » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:35 am

The NaPoWriMo idea is a great way to force the hand. Lots of short poems are likely but 30 poems in 30 days is certainly interesting. Would there be enough interest? How many active members currently frequent the site? Would the rules insist we adhere to the poem a day rule? Would people be automatically disqualified if they missed a day or two, or would they be able to catch up later? I'd certainly give it a go, but I currently seem to have the time. I suppose a flexible system would be helpful, where self-motivation would act as the primary influence.

JJ
JJWilliamson
Preternatural Poster
Preternatural Poster

Postby Ros » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:14 pm

Yes, I think there'd be enough interest to run it. Perhaps anyone who frequents a different forum could invite people to join us?

I don't think we'd want any disqualifications - even if people only manage half the prompts, that's good practice. Self-motivation and mutual encouragement.

Ros

Postby JJWilliamson » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:51 pm

Ros wrote:Yes, I think there'd be enough interest to run it. Perhaps anyone who frequents a different forum could invite people to join us?

I don't think we'd want any disqualifications - even if people only manage half the prompts, that's good practice. Self-motivation and mutual encouragement.

Ros

Then it's brimming with possibilities. I'm in if it goes ahead.

JJ
JJWilliamson
Preternatural Poster
Preternatural Poster

Postby Luce » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:41 pm

Ian - I think you're right about the NaPoMo idea not really lending itself to a competition. Maybe we can refine it and just use the same structure we did for the Holiday one.

I've participated in several marathon April ones and they are grueling. I found myself thinking of poems to satisfy that day constantly which almost caused me to get run over by a truck once. The drive to produce a poem a day in April didn't stop if I went on a trip either.

We can make it a poem a week in April or just open it for the month of April instead of a poem a day in April.

What ever you folks decide is fine by me. I can help with prompts. I have no trips planned in April.

Luce

PS - The idea of inviting folks from other websites is great, assuming they're not running their own in April.
Luce
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Postby Antcliff » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:33 pm

Let us have a comp before April....even if we end up doing something a bit NaPoMoScoDilDo in April.
We fray into the future, rarely wrought
Save in the tapestries of afterthought.
Richard Wilbur
Antcliff

Return to Competition Time