Elegy to Rab ( Jan 1958-July 2004)[reversion 1]

This is a serious poetry forum not a "love-in". Post here for more detailed, constructive criticism.
Ros
antispam: no

Re: Elegy to Rab (1958-2004) [revision 2 revised couplet]]

Post by Ros » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:26 am

Interesting to read your thoughts, JJ. I agree that garters is a reasonable description, but I still feel it's tricky - the idea of the bees discarding not only their immediate pollen but also the means of collecting it was too subtle for me. I also hadn't realised you meant that the rabbits sacrificed their young - just that wild rabbits ended up as fox food. Hmm, I'm not sure if all this is me not reading carefully enough or you expecting too much!

Ros
Rosencrantz: What are you playing at? Guildenstern: Words. Words. They're all we have to go on.

JJWilliamson

Re: Elegy to Rab (1958-2004) [revision 2 revised couplet]]

Post by JJWilliamson » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:12 pm

Ros wrote:Interesting to read your thoughts, JJ. I agree that garters is a reasonable description, but I still feel it's tricky - the idea of the bees discarding not only their immediate pollen but also the means of collecting it was too subtle for me. I also hadn't realised you meant that the rabbits sacrificed their young - just that wild rabbits ended up as fox food. Hmm, I'm not sure if all this is me not reading carefully enough or you expecting too much!

Ros
Thanks again, Ros. Many of the images oppose the expected norms. When the pollen baskets are empty they no longer look like garters. The image of the garters is discarded but the baskets survive to nourish the hive once again. They unexpectedly ditch the pollen.

Ah, you thought the rabbits were young rather than the offspring of the collected rabbits. They are both but I could replace 'young' with 'weaned' to help clarify things. Not sure though, 'weeeeeened' or 'younggg'. Hmm, I'm thinkin'.

I would say it's me expecting too much.

Best

JJ
Long time a child and still a child

JJWilliamson

Re: Elegy to Rab (1958-2004) [revision 3]

Post by JJWilliamson » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:01 pm

Revised again.

JJ

JJWilliamson

Re: Elegy to Rab ( Jan 1958-July 2004)[reversion 1]

Post by JJWilliamson » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:46 pm

Ok, I've settled for this one. Thanks to all for your more than generous contributions.
I've decided to follow the original meter with a few changes here and there, especially in the couplet.

Inbhir Air dates from the 13th Century and was a recognised forerunner... "Mouth of the Ayr"
Could mean estuary or firth I suppose but I'm not clued up to the origins of either. Not yet.

Best

JJ

Mic
Preternatural Poster
Preternatural Poster
antispam: no

Post by Mic » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:56 am

Hi JJ, my thoughts without reading earlier comments.

The idea is clever, and well-handled. It all reads very well, the rhymes are seamlessly interwoven, the pacing is good. It's an accomplished piece. And yet, curiously, I find myself not as moved as much as I feel I should be. I have a feeling that the idea - which is neat - gets worn out before the poem ends.

You can obvioulsy write though!

Mic
"Do not feel lonely, the entire universe is inside you" - Rumi

JJWilliamson

Post by JJWilliamson » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:07 pm

Thanks for your thoughts, mic, it's appreciated.

"I find myself not as moved as much as I feel I should be." The fault lies with the writer, not the reader. The natural world reacts in a strange way
because of the shocking news and maybe I have stretched the theme somewhat. Nevertheless, your review and analysis is well received. I wrote a free verse poem the day after his funeral and completed it a few days later in Stoupa, Greece. I'll post it one day.

Best

JJ