To young women, to beware of powerful men

This is a serious poetry forum not a "love-in". Post here for more detailed, constructive criticism.
David

To young women, to beware of powerful men

Post by David » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:55 am

Carpe diem. Seize the day.
Is this not what Marvin Gaye
was getting at when he said
let's get it on? Now Marvin's dead,
who left not many days unseized
but died unhappy, unappeased.

I am not saying you should flee,
hands flapping, to a nunnery.
No need for that. But beware
the puissant propositioner,
and do not trust them when they say
let's get it on, let's seize the day.

Firebird

Re: To young women, to beware of powerful men

Post by Firebird » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:10 pm

At first I didn't think the title fit the poem, but the more I think about it the more it does. I generally like it, though I am not completely convinced that Marvin Gaye was meaning 'seize the day' when he said 'let's get it on'. Besides the sentiment being a tiny bit prudish and the tone a little edifying I like it. I think 'unappeased' is a little bit of a forced rhyme. Is 'puissant propositioner', which I like, referring to people like Harvey Weinstein? Was Marvin Gaye such a character?

Cheers,

Tristan

Macavity
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Post by Macavity » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:04 am

Prompts me to go and read some Herrick, Donne and Marvell. The poem threads poetry genre -tradition to modern - to 'news'. As usual, the delivery is cleverly measured. For some reason, I wondered if the poem would have more emotional contact/impact if it was written by a woman. Either way opinion provoking. Still pondering unappeased.

cheers

mac

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsHoGBWDK9A

:)

David

Post by David » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:37 pm

Thanks Tristan. I tried to make the title sound like that of an old folk song - this is old folk wisdom, after all. Harvey Weinstein and his ilk, exactly.

I can't think what else Marvin could have had in mind if it wasn't, in effect, seize the day - purely in the sexual sense, of course. A synonym for seize the day is, of course, gather re rosebuds when ye may, and it's pretty clear what Herrick was thinking about. (As Mac has spotted.)

"Unappeased" is probably a pretty accurate description for poor Marvin's state of mind, at the end and not just then, i.e. of not being in a state of peace, quiet, ease, calm, or contentment. (It's also there for the rhyme, of course, but not indefensibly so.)

Ah, the POV of a woman, Mac - interesting idea. But can I do that? I wonder. (And Metallica, indeed! Do you know how old I am?)

Cheers both

David

churinga
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by churinga » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:33 am

I question 'died unhappy'. Marvin was fatally shot by his father after a domestic dispute. He was shot in the heart at point blank range. He would have died almost instantly .

Firebird

Post by Firebird » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:13 pm

Hi David,

In the context of Marvin's song, 'let's get it on' is a plea to a women who he is in love with and he feels is in love is with him, but is 'beating about the bush' or maybe being a little bit coy. I don't really see 'let's get it on' as meaning 'seize the day' in this context. It isn't just purely sexual attraction.

Sorry to disagree.

Cheers,

Tristan

David

Post by David » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:45 pm

churinga wrote:I question 'died unhappy'. Marvin was fatally shot by his father after a domestic dispute. He was shot in the heart at point blank range. He would have died almost instantly .
Ross, you are literally right, but I think over-literally. Let us agree: he was not, in life, a happy bunny, was he?
Firebird wrote:n the context of Marvin's song, 'let's get it on' is a plea to a women who he is in love with and he feels is in love is with him, but is 'beating about the bush' or maybe being a little bit coy. I don't really see 'let's get it on' as meaning 'seize the day' in this context. It isn't just purely sexual attraction.
Tristan, I'm not sure I agree with you, but I will go back and have another listen to it. Always a pleasure anyway.

Cheers both

David

JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Post by JJWilliamson » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:16 pm

There's a part of me that wants to ironically say "Beware of powerful men, baby".

Still, that's just me.

I enjoyed this poem, David, from start to finish, rhymes et al on the poetic front.
David wrote:Carpe diem. Seize the day.
Is this not what Marvin Gaye
was getting at when he said
let's get it on? Now Marvin's dead,
who left not many days unseized
but died unhappy, unappeased. ...On his knees, after the bullet hit him.

I am not saying you should flee,
hands flapping, to a nunnery.
No need for that. But beware
the puissant propositioner,
and do not trust them when they say
let's get it on, let's seize the day.
Best

JJ
Long time a child and still a child

David

Post by David » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:05 pm

Thank you JJ!

Cheers

David

Wilcken
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by Wilcken » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:15 pm

Hahaha!

I love this David. Timely. Hard to class Marvin amongst Weinstein and all those other so-and-sos but how can you resist capitalizing on that lyric? I'm glad you did.

I don't scan meter but it sure feels alright with the rhymes landing nicely. And "puissant!" Such lovely word play for this piece.

Fun to read, and sage advice.

W

David

Post by David » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:27 pm

Thank you Wilcko! I'm glad you enjoyed it, and very glad to see you popping back for a visit.

Your old mate Seth is a less frequent visitor here than he used to be, but he still surfaces from time to time. (That "surfaces" is appropriate, as he is currently trying to turn himself into a seal by taking long swims in the bays of his Scottish isle. True story.)

Cheers

David