Flurries by Trow Rock

Where poets, painters, photographers and other artists can mingle.
JJWilliamson

Flurries by Trow Rock

Post by JJWilliamson » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:04 pm

Oil on canvas 3ft x 3ft. Another large canvas of a late afternoon/early evening at South Shields main beach. The sun is dropping diagonally behind the left shoulder of the viewer as it heads for the Tyne. The coast faces North East, as the compass would have it, so the sun arcs over the beach on the diagonal. The main gull is a kittiwake, which are found all over the place during the breeding season. This is for my cousin, Chris, on his fiftieth birthday, as requested by his wife. Hope he likes it, but you just never know. He's from South Shields, btw, and used to swim from these rocks every summer as a child. I know because I was with him. LOL
Kittiwake and trow rock 09 10 2018 003 (resized 950 pix).jpg
Kittiwake and trow rock 09 10 2018 003 (resized 950 pix).jpg (272.4 KiB) Viewed 715 times
Long time a child and still a child

Macavity
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Re: Flurries by Trow Rock

Post by Macavity » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:40 pm

Something joyful and celebratory in this JJ. I'm sure it will be much appreciated.

thanks for sharing

mac

Mirrorball
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by Mirrorball » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:09 pm

You're very talented JJ. The colours are gorgeous and you have a great eye for detail too.

churinga
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by churinga » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:52 am

What happens to all these wonderful paintings. I hope they are out there gracing peoples' homes.
My offer to be your agent still stands. :D :D :D

cheers

Ross

JJWilliamson

Post by JJWilliamson » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:03 am

Thank you very much, mac, mirror and Ross, for the highly encouraging and generous comments. Put a smile on my face, you did.

I used a selection of my own photos for this painting then added some extras for good measure. The scale is pretty accurate, and the sky is close to how it was on the day. The blues are a bit duller than currently showing, mainly because my iphone has a love of all things bright. :)

Good question, Ross, and one that my wife raises on a weekly basis. She has a point. :) I have them hanging on the interior walls of our house, slowly drying. Actually, most of them are ready for varnishing now and I might just attempt to sell one or two. Di would be delighted to see them go and thrilled at the prospect of wasting more money. :lol: I'm only kidding, folks, before you emasculate me. The thing is, they take approx' six months to dry/cure before they're ready to take a varnish. So, I'm looking at silk varnishes to finish the job, for better or worse. I want to hang onto some of them, though, get them framed and dot a few around the house. I actually give most of them away to family and friends, if they want them.

Thanks again and best to all.

JJ
Long time a child and still a child