Marsden Rock Reflections

Where poets, painters, photographers and other artists can mingle.
JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Marsden Rock Reflections

Post by JJWilliamson » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:40 am

Another pastel painting of the world famous Marsden Rock (just building its part up).

It's a lovely place to walk and the beaches are all blue flag. Let's hear it for the National Trust and their efforts to preserve this important kittiwake colony. When the weather is fine and the sea is calm you can watch the gulls circling the rock all day long.

Please click on the pic for a full image.
Marsden Rock Reflections 20 07 2018 007 (resized 650 px) POL.jpg
Marsden Rock Reflections 20 07 2018 007 (resized 650 px) POL.jpg (116.31 KiB) Viewed 348 times
Long time a child and still a child

Macavity
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Re: Marsden Rock Reflections

Post by Macavity » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:58 pm

:oops: I think I'd like it more without the rock!

Pauline
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster
antispam: no

Post by Pauline » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:13 pm

:?
Hate saying this but I can see where Mac comes from JJ.
You have a fabulous sky and beach. The reflections on the sand are amazing, but the rock
Itself ......well ( I hate saying this) kinda looks (to me) like a walnut. It's too rounded and smooth. Where's it's strength, ruggedness?
Drag your pastels down. Dig strength into every crevice.
This could be amazing. Don't be afraid. Go for it.

JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Post by JJWilliamson » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:54 pm

Thanks, mac and Pauline for the great comments and analysis. Appreciated, even though some of it isn't working.

This is the second of four pastels of Marsden and Trow Rocks. I've more or less finished the third painting and still have the other side of Trow Rock to paint, my favourite side. So, I'll try to up the ante on the rock work and finish with a flourish. These are trickier than they look and the last one drove me up the wall. :)

Best to both

JJ

PS Good to see you floating around, Pauline. Hope the painting is still going well. I'm STILL working on that 90 x 90 cms canvas and I hope to the high heavens I can find my way to the end. Jack, my son, is calling it The Great Wall of China. Bloody cheek! :)

J

Pauline
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Post by Pauline » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:51 pm

JJWilliamson wrote:the last one drove me up the wall.
:D
I know exactly how you feel JJ. Everything I paint drives me up the fecking wall.

I'm STILL working on that 90 x 90 cms canvas and I hope to the high heavens I can find my way to the end. Jack, my son, is calling it The Great Wall of China. Bloody cheek!

:)
It's not THAT big JJ.
OK. I will admit when I first started on this size canvas I felt a little scared. It seemed huge and I wondered if I could fill it. Working out the proportions took some thinking but it didn't take too long to adjust. Most of my paintings are now 90x90cm.
The 2 I am currently working on are 200x50cm and 200x135cm . I want to pay the extra 40p and go large. :lol:
Now, Jack would have summat to say about that if it's in your working kitchen. :lol: :lol:

I look forward to seeing the next two pastel paintings. This one looks like it has been painted.
Was very surprised to here it was pastel. Although the main man himself gave it away. :wink:
Never mind. We all learn from feedback. :D

churinga
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by churinga » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:02 pm

I agree that the rock seems less sharply in focus compared to the sea and sand, the sand especailly is very well handled. I don't know if it is the pastel medium which is working against the rock looking more rock like or it is the fact that you say it is a work in progress.
At the moment I am on Magnetic Island in Far North Queensland, you would love the landscapes, tropical vistas of islands in the mist and the boulders here are huge and of granite but rounded like river stones since they are so ancient.

JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Post by JJWilliamson » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:27 am

That sounds like a fantastic place, Ross. Right up my street.

Actually, I see what you mean about the out of focus rock. It's not quite so bad in reality because the photo doesn't really do the painting justice, BUT I can see the problem. Something sharper, perhaps. Will do and thanks for the nudge

Best

JJ

JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Post by JJWilliamson » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:40 am

Thanks for the great and highly entertaining reply, Pauline. Appreciated. :)
Pauline wrote:
JJWilliamson wrote:the last one drove me up the wall.
:D
I know exactly how you feel JJ. Everything I paint drives me up the fecking wall. ...Well, I've reached the next stage and it's coming along but the scale has me painting at arm's length. Finally made some headway yesterday.

I'm STILL working on that 90 x 90 cms canvas and I hope to the high heavens I can find my way to the end. Jack, my son, is calling it The Great Wall of China. Bloody cheek!

:)
It's not THAT big JJ.
OK. I will admit when I first started on this size canvas I felt a little scared. It seemed huge and I wondered if I could fill it. Working out the proportions took some thinking but it didn't take too long to adjust. Most of my paintings are now 90x90cm.
The 2 I am currently working on are 200x50cm and 200x135cm . I want to pay the extra 40p and go large. :lol: ... Nom de dieu!! They sound more like tapestries. :)
Now, Jack would have summat to say about that if it's in your working kitchen. :lol: :lol: ...It IS in the kitchen, on the table. Di is charmed but has been remarkably patient. "I hope you're going to give that one away" she said.

I look forward to seeing the next two pastel paintings. This one looks like it has been painted. ...Pastel it is and I've finished the entire series now. I'll post the collection soon, now I'm just about done. Actually, I've still a few nudges to make but I've been letting them settle before attempting the final adjustments.
Was very surprised to here it was pastel. Although the main man himself gave it away. :wink: ...Interestingly, a friend from another site said they thought they were oil paintings.
Never mind. We all learn from feedback. :D
Good to see you again

JJ

Pauline
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Post by Pauline » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:27 pm

JJWilliamson wrote:Well, I've reached the next stage and it's coming along but the scale has me painting at arm's length. Finally made some headway yesterday.
Crack on JJ.
Can't wait to see it.
JJWilliamson wrote:It IS in the kitchen, on the table. Di is charmed but has been remarkably patient. "I hope you're going to give that one away" she said.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
JJWilliamson wrote:I'll post the collection soon, now I'm just about done. Actually, I've still a few nudges to make but I've been letting them settle before attempting the final adjustments.
:) C'mon JJ. I'm waiting.
Hope you are well and active. :)