Red Flag at Trow Rock (revised)

Where poets, painters, photographers and other artists can mingle.

Red Flag at Trow Rock (revised)

Postby JJWilliamson » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:05 pm

Revision on top. Touched up a few areas with subtle highlights. (That's my version of events, anyway) :)

This is where I used to swim as a boy and young man. On a calm day we'd dive from the rocks into ice-cold clean water. Not on a day like this one, though. It's an oil on canvas, 40 x 30cms, representing the south end of South Shields' main beach.

Don't forget to click on the image for the full painting.

Palette: Titanium white, Prussian blue, cobalt blue, alizarin crimson, lemon yellow. Wet on wet application with a linseed and white spirit medium. Also employed fat over lean.

I quite simply grew up here and it will always be special to me. "Rose tinted glasses" my brother said. :)

A Shade of Blue & Trow Rock revised, iphone 002 (resized).jpg
A Shade of Blue & Trow Rock revised, iphone 002 (resized).jpg (146.72 KiB) Viewed 414 times

Trow Rock waves 2 iphone 002.JPG
Trow Rock waves 2 iphone 002.JPG (199.99 KiB) Viewed 451 times
Last edited by JJWilliamson on Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Long time a child and still a child
JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Re: Red Flag at Trow Rock

Postby Pauline » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:06 pm

Hmmm.
I won't pretend here JJ.
It's not your best.
Considering
JJWilliamson wrote:I quite simply grew up here and it will always be special to me. "Rose tinted glasses" my brother said.

Where's the energy?
Where's the colour?
Vibrancy.
This is your special place.
Scream it.
Throw it in our face.
You, more than anyone can show us just how special this place is.
I won't accept mediocre JJ.
I want energy, and you are more than capable of delivering that.
I'll come back and dive into the waves you enjoyed as a boy/young man.
Waiting... :)
Pauline
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Re: Red Flag at Trow Rock

Postby JJWilliamson » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:29 am

I guess you're not keen, then. :lol:

Thanks, Pauline, for dropping in to share your thoughts. I honestly don't mind at all that this one didn't hit the mark, and I do appreciate your honesty.
I'll give this one to my cousin. :D

Here's the photo I used, a pic I took myself, recently, whilst strolling along Sandhaven Beach, or as I've always called it, The Beach.
The energy comes from the waves, mainly because if we'd decided to swim on a day like this we'd have been ex-people, extinct, Kaput.
We used to dive into the sea from these rocks, or JUST to the left of them, from a rock that's submerged and often dived from the
lower ledges of the cliff, out of shot, to the right. I was also trying to catch the time of day with a touch of realism.

I've used a touch of artistic licence and could add more colour to the sky. The white waves are a light lavender-blue, tinged with pink, the clouds are a kind of deep lavender and there's a hint of yellow in the highlights. I'll include a revision, completed before reading this, but I'm not sure it helps much. I'll dig it out and resize after I've posted this reply.

Thanks again for the feedback

Best

JJ

South Shields resized (waves) iphone.jpg
South Shields resized (waves) iphone.jpg (95.04 KiB) Viewed 416 times
JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Re: Red Flag at Trow Rock (revised)

Postby Pauline » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:50 pm

Sorry JJ. :oops:
I was out of order there.
Had a bad day at the office and you caught the tail end of my mood.

Looking at your photo I can now see that you have actually captured the essence of Trow Rock.
Pauline wrote:I want energy,
Pauline wrote:Where's the colour?

It's all here JJ.
Your revision is less pink and authenticates a more true version of the scene.
JJWilliamson wrote:I'll give this one to my cousin.

Nooooo. Keep it. It's a really nice musing of your favorite place.
Give him the photograph :)
JJWilliamson wrote:The energy comes from the waves, mainly because if we'd decided to swim on a day like this we'd have been ex-people, extinct, Kaput.
:lol:
JJWilliamson wrote:We used to dive into the sea from these rocks, or JUST to the left of them, from a rock that's submerged and often dived from the
lower ledges of the cliff, out of shot, to the right

Oh to be young and fearless and dive headlong into the continual changing path of existence .

JJWilliamson wrote:I was also trying to catch the time of day with a touch of realism.

You did just that JJ.
I'm so sorry for my negative feedback.
I'm all for constructive criticism but I let you down.
I let my mood dictate .
Be proud JJ.
Your 40x30cm rose tinted "The Beach" painting is more than worthy to hang proudly on any wall. :)
Pauline
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Postby JJWilliamson » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:19 pm

Wow! Pauline!!

What a turnaround. :D

Not to worry, though, I wasn't offended and you didn't let me down, not one bit. Actually I've since painted another version on a bigger canvas (50 x 40cms) so I can get some seagull action into the scene. I've changed the wave structure and left some space for the birds to fly in to once the paint has dried.

Furthermore, I've just completed a colourful and dramatic painting of a storm over the Hebrides just to give you some energetic action. So you see, every cloud has a silver lining. I deliberately looked for more drama and your crit' spurred me on, like a man possessed. :) Whether I've achieved my goal, or not, remains to be seen.

So, thank you very much for coming back and special thanks for your honesty.

Best

JJ
JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Postby Pauline » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:03 pm

JJWilliamson wrote: I wasn't offended and you didn't let me down, not one bit.

I felt bad because this was your special place and I waded in there with negative comments.

When you posted the picture you had taken I could clearly see that you had done a great job of capturing that scene,
and I felt that you truly did justice to the image. You captured the energy and colours of your beach in that moment. :)

My initial post was more concerned ( baring mind I hadn't seen your photo) with the lack of excitement and thrill you had for the place.
I believe that was my gripe, rather than the actual painting.
It was the image you chose to depict this amazing childhood recollection that let me down.

JJ. You know this place better than me.
You have felt the thrill of diving from these rocks.
You have felt your lungs shrink under those waves. Submerged yourself into a different world with no idea what you were going to find
and grappled the unpredictable power of the ocean.
That's the energy what I wanted JJ.

JJWilliamson wrote:I've since painted another version on a bigger canvas (50 x 40cms) so I can get some seagull action into the scene.
:D
That's always good JJ.
JJWilliamson wrote:I've just completed a colourful and dramatic painting of a storm over the Hebrides just to give you some energetic action. So you see, every cloud has a silver lining. I deliberately looked for more drama and your crit' spurred me on, like a man possessed. Whether I've achieved my goal, or not, remains to be seen.

Whoooooo! :D
Fabulous.
I'm sure it will be wonderful.
I look forward to seeing it. :D
Pauline
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Postby JJWilliamson » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:25 pm

Thanks, Pauline, for the further explanations. Appreciated.

I've tried taking photos, with my iphone, of my Hebrides painting and the colours just aren't coming out as they should, even if I download directly into my PC. It's driving me nuts. So, I might not post it yet, as without the saturated colours the pic is less dramatic. The other painting is more limited in terms of palette so that one could well get a run out. :)

I think it's the thrill, the scale of the sea and the power of the waves that moves me most. It was those waves that made me rush to the camera.

Thanks again for getting back.

Best

JJ
JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Return to Post Visual Art