How To Tell

New to poetry? Unsure about the quality of your work? Then why not post here to receive some gentle feedback.
churinga
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

How To Tell

Post by churinga » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:25 pm

How to tell it's an American movie.
It has a helicopter in it.

How do you tell it's an English movie.
They're drinking tea in a cafe.

How to tell it's an Australian movie.
Someone just got out of gaol.

David

Re: How To Tell

Post by David » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:11 pm

Pretty broad cultural stereotypes, Ross! Although I should admit, in the interest of truthfulness, that I am actually drinking tea now - but not in a cafe.

Cheers (or pip-pip, if you prefer)

David

JJWilliamson

Post by JJWilliamson » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:14 pm

Nah! The Australians should be sitting on the beach, drinking from tinnies and looking at the Sheilas as they lob another prawn on the Barbie. :)

Sounds good to me.

Good laugh, this one.

JJ
Long time a child and still a child

Perry
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by Perry » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:17 pm

Not that it matters insofar as the poem is concerned, but my stereotypes are a little different.

The one about the helicopter in it is pretty accurate. However, I think of the English as drinking warm beer in pubs (more than tea in cafes), and I think of the Australians as wearing skimpy bathing suits at the beach with the material pulled up to expose their butts.

I suspect that more Americans end up in jail (proportionally) than Australians do. America loves to jail its citizens, especially those of color. What's even worse is that a lot of those people end up in solitary confincement, which, in my view, is a form of torture.

Is "goal" pronounced the same as "jail"? If not, how is it pronounced?

I think you should put a colon at the ends of the first lines of the stanzas, not a period.
If I forget to come back to critique your revised poem, don't hesitate to send me a note.

churinga
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by churinga » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:07 pm

HI JJ and Perry

This is not about stereotypes in reality only in the movies. But anyway its just a joke and not to be taken seriously.

Sorry to not reply promptly i have been away from forum for a while and forgot about this one.

Perry
re 'the material pulled up to expose their butts', Australian men don't do this. Surf lifesavers do it when they row out on surfboats in competitions. They do it because the nylon of the Speedos is slippery and they lose their seating.

Perry
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by Perry » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:34 am

Interesting factoid about Australian butts. I'll have to remember that.
If I forget to come back to critique your revised poem, don't hesitate to send me a note.