Immigration (Part 1 - Pinus)

New to poetry? Unsure about the quality of your work? Then why not post here to receive some gentle feedback.
Joao
Productive Poster
Productive Poster

Immigration (Part 1 - Pinus)

Post by Joao » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:43 pm

Pinus

‘All through the Patagonian steppe, a mosaic of big, small and smaller pine trees is developing, turning the open landscape into a conifer forest’. The pine tree invasion of South America, A photoessay by Jonas Lembrechts

We woke up late, so we jumped up and ran,
and ran, all day, all agog for south and sun,
and jostled our way through the damp shrubs.
All day, we ran; until night; until our muddy feet sunk down
on dried-up sand and the sudden rift --
Gondwanaland! -- appeared and stopped us.
Pushing our backs against the gathering crowd,
we watched our promised raft already at sea,
drifting away towards the Southern Cross.

But here we stand, at last: settlers in our destined land.
The jaundiced races sprawl over the dawning plain
and shiver undeserving in the rough Pampero,
waiting to be trampled.

*I’m planning to write additional sections, each with a different migrant species, but I'm lacking in inspiration at the moment. Any advice, much appreciated.

Macavity
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Re: Immigration (Part 1 - Pinus)

Post by Macavity » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:38 am

hi Joao,
Interesting topic. Invasive species are a problem, especially in recent centuries, but I didn't know about the problem of pines in Patagonia. The mention of Gondwanaland confused me in terms of timescale, but this maybe because I'm unclear about some of the writing. Are the jaundiced races a reference to another plant or humans? Why are they undeserving? I did like the sense of freedom in the running and the change of terrain.

hope that helps some

mac

Joao
Productive Poster
Productive Poster

Post by Joao » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:22 pm

Thanks, Mac, it does help very much, as usual. I was fearing that times and places wouldn’t be easy to establish. Sounds like I need to make it clearer. The story is that there are virtually no native pines in the Southern Hemisphere. They emerged just after (a few million years after, that is) the break-up of Pangea. That’s S1. S2 is the present. The jaundiced races are the straw-coloured shrubs and grasses characteristic of the Patagonian steppe, which are threatened by the pine invasion. They are undeserving of their land in the eye of the invader, who wants take it away from them.

JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Post by JJWilliamson » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:43 am

Hi, Joao

Thoroughly enjoyed this personalisation of the pine invasion of the South American Continent, Patagonia in particular.

I'm immediately reminded of the colonization of the Americas (southern), but by humans. As the narrative progressed
the deeper meaning became apparent, but I can't help thinking the similarities are deliberate. The preface/intro' clarifies
your intent. However, I wondered if the premise would be just as apparent without it, so I looked again. S1 definitely keeps me
grounded in the human, YET there are undercurrents that suggest otherwise, EG the sunken feet.

I was, incidentally, absorbed by the unfolding. The threat and eventual extinction of native species/tribes is succinctly implied
and the voracious nature of the "conquerors" seems passive, yet absolute. The slow and ruthless invasion is upon us, which is hinted at
though the enormous timescale you've employed. There is an inevitability about it all, which is often the way of events, when geological
spans are employed. Change IS inevitable.

So, can mankind eradicate this threat, as he/she perceives things. We think in very small units of time, applying a significance to ourselves
beyond our importance. I suspect that when we eventually extinguish ourselves, through delusional self-importance, the world won't miss us one bit. :)

My only suggestion, and it is only that, is to give the reader a bigger clue, with one of the potential areas being that of the 'jaundiced races'.
Why not just drop a hint into the mix. EG "Jaundiced grasses". Something along those lines.

Good stuff, IMHO, and I look forward to reading the rest of the series.

Best

JJ
Joao wrote:Pinus

‘All through the Patagonian steppe, a mosaic of big, small and smaller pine trees is developing, turning the open landscape into a conifer forest’. The pine tree invasion of South America, A photoessay by Jonas Lembrechts

We woke up late, so we jumped up and ran,
and ran, all day, all agog for south and sun,
and jostled our way through the damp shrubs.
All day, we ran; until night; until our muddy feet sunk down
on dried-up sand and the sudden rift --
Gondwanaland! -- appeared and stopped us.
Pushing our backs against the gathering crowd,
we watched our promised raft already at sea,
drifting away towards the Southern Cross.

But here we stand, at last: settlers in our destined land.
The jaundiced races sprawl over the dawning plain
and shiver undeserving in the rough Pampero,
waiting to be trampled.

*I’m planning to write additional sections, each with a different migrant species, but I'm lacking in inspiration at the moment. Any advice, much appreciated.
Long time a child and still a child