New to poetry? Unsure about the quality of your work? Then why not post here to receive some gentle feedback.
Mic
Preternatural Poster
Preternatural Poster
antispam: no

Re: Sign up here for a Duet!

Post by Mic » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:39 am

Hi all, I'm just not prolific enough to be able to help produce 7 sonnets in three weeks. It takes me about that long to produce 1 very little poem. A 'duet' or a duel (?) of sonnets - a sort of 'call and answer' maybe.

Mic
"Do not feel lonely, the entire universe is inside you" - Rumi

brianedwards
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Post by brianedwards » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:41 am

Mic wrote:Hi all, I'm just not prolific enough to be able to help produce 7 sonnets in three weeks. It takes me about that long to produce 1 very little poem. A 'duet' or a duel (?) of sonnets - a sort of 'call and answer' maybe.

Mic
Well, it's actually 3.5 sonnets in a month that I'm proposing, so . . . c'mon, never too late to redefine yerself. Or summat.

Nicky B
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by Nicky B » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:47 pm

I'm afraid I'm with Mic on this. I like the sonnet idea, but don't think I could write 3.5 in a month. Not that were half decent, especially if you throw collaboration into the mix - that always slows everything right down. I'd rather do less, but well.

So maybe: the first by the experienced, followed by second by the beginner, with the final one written together (ish).

Or we could let the individual pairs decide on form? Depending on how much time they have and quickly they write.

Nicky B.

brianedwards
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Post by brianedwards » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:52 pm

Well, I think it's sad that you can't write 49 lines of poetry in a month! Less, with the repeats. But still, whatever. Someone else think of something. Wake me when we're ready.

B.

Suzanne
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Post by Suzanne » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:24 pm

Hmmm, I say, hmmmm....

I like the idea of the 7 part thing. No problem with that part.

What may be daunting about the task is if you see the 7 parts as 7 different poems. But they really aren't, they are bits of a whole idea. I don't think that the parts have to be specifically assigned to one of the other poet. The idea is to work together as a team and not play Beginner's against Experienced like a volleyball game.

And a Beginner flagged out as the writer of a specific verse makes critiques difficult. A person could easily say, I like verses 1 and three but 2 and four have failed with me.... well, duh. That wouldn't be good.

So, I say

1. Keep the 7 verse idea. Everyone decide to give it a try even if it seems hard to begin with.( I am with Brian, let's push ourselves. We've got nothing to lose and much to gain. And, for the record, it doesn't feel too easy for me either.)

2. Allow either to write whatever the team agrees to, no assignments.

3. After a week or so, decide if the deadline suits the task for the whole group. Try to make it work but assess it as we go.

Just my two American cents,
Suzanne

k-j
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Post by k-j » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:43 pm

49 lines is too much for me, as well. I mean I could do it but it would be an exercise in quantity for me, and the collaboration would suffer.

I also agree with Suzanne, it will be better from a crit perspective if the finished product isn't obviously person A - person B - person A - person B - etc. But that should be up to each pair.

Why not just one sonnet? Or any other short form or theme. I don't think the theme really matters.

We can ask everyone to pick a single word and PM it to me. I'll publish the list of words and ask people to choose one each, then reveal the pairings.

I'll give it a couple more days for people to sign up before doing anything.
fine words butter no parsnips

Ros

Post by Ros » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:03 pm

Wow! Ambitious. But why not?

Ros
Rosencrantz: What are you playing at? Guildenstern: Words. Words. They're all we have to go on.

Suzanne
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Post by Suzanne » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:12 pm

k-j great idea! Let's begin there, it's something concrete:

Everyone pick one word and send it by pm to k-j.

JohnLott
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Post by JohnLott » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:24 pm

Sent.

8)

J.
Before you shave with Occam’s razor - Try epilation or microlaser

calico
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by calico » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:38 pm

Lost! A word? What for, a title/theme?

k-j
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Post by k-j » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:50 pm

calico wrote:Lost! A word? What for, a title/theme?
Yeah, something indicative of what you want might want to write - or just a word you're fond of.

Suzanne
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Post by Suzanne » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:05 pm

We will each send you a word
and then you will.........?
and then we will....?

I am in support of writing 1, 3 or 7 sonnets.

k-j
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Post by k-j » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:17 pm

Suzanne wrote:We will each send you a word
and then you will.........?
and then we will....?
Haven't quite figured it out yet. I'll list them. Then I think I'll ask everyone to choose their favourite five or ten words, and I'll use some sort of algorithm or spreadsheet to match Beginners with Experienced as closely to preferences as possible... Don't worry I'll sort it out.

Suzanne
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Post by Suzanne » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:24 pm

It's wonderfully fun. Thanks and well done.

David

Post by David » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:10 pm

k-j wrote: lines is too much for me, as well. I mean I could do it but it would be an exercise in quantity for me, and the collaboration would suffer.

I also agree with Suzanne, it will be better from a crit perspective if the finished product isn't obviously person A - person B - person A - person B - etc. But that should be up to each pair.

Why not just one sonnet? Or any other short form or theme. I don't think the theme really matters.
I agree on all counts. Don't make the sonnet compulsory. Let the odd couples come up with whatever they want.

bodkin
Location: Two inches behind my eyes just above the bridge of my nose.

Post by bodkin » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:19 pm

3.5 sonnets is too much for me also, there is the day job to consider...

I also think having the two people write separate poems is not making the most, or possibly anything, of the collaboration aspect. I'd think we'd want one poem written by two people...

One sonnet would be OK, but is it best to constrain ourselves to a form when we are also having to work to bring two, possibly very different, poets into some sort of synch?

OTOH a 14-line "modern sonnet" is hardly constrained at all, so we could say 14 lines (+volta, I'd think) and leave the rhyming and meter/not to the pairings...

So are we sending words to k-j? Is that the plan? Never mind, I will just send one, and if he comes out a word up at the end of the month, well that's just his good luck :-)

Ian
http://www.ianbadcoe.uk/

k-j
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Post by k-j » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:47 pm

bodkin wrote:3.5 sonnets is too much for me also, there is the day job to consider...

I also think having the two people write separate poems is not making the most, or possibly anything, of the collaboration aspect. I'd think we'd want one poem written by two people...

One sonnet would be OK, but is it best to constrain ourselves to a form when we are also having to work to bring two, possibly very different, poets into some sort of synch?

OTOH a 14-line "modern sonnet" is hardly constrained at all, so we could say 14 lines (+volta, I'd think) and leave the rhyming and meter/not to the pairings...
Agree on all counts. 14-lines sounds good to me.
So are we sending words to k-j? Is that the plan? Never mind, I will just send one, and if he comes out a word up at the end of the month, well that's just his good luck :-)

Ian
Good man.