Please tell me I'm not the only one

How many poets does it take to change a light bulb?
Sharra
Preternatural Poster
Preternatural Poster
antispam: no

Please tell me I'm not the only one

Post by Sharra » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:52 am

I find that when I'm writing lots, my brain seems to be really scatty and I find it really hard to concentrate on things like work. During meetings etc I'm off somewhere else. I can't even claim that its cos I'm thinking about my poetry as its usually really random stuff.
I wonder if it's the relaxing of the conscious editing brain thats necessary to get the words down in the first place.
I'm interested in how other people deal with this? Is it just the price to be paid for being 'creative'?
Sharra
xx
It is at the edge of the
petal that love waits

David

Re: Please tell me I'm not the only one

Post by David » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:57 am

I don't really find the same thing, Sharra, although I'm at work now as I type this, so maybe I just have a bad attitude. It's been said before!

Cheers

David

k-j
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Post by k-j » Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:24 pm

I feel like that a lot Sharra, but it doesn't seem to be related to my poetic output.
fine words butter no parsnips

Suzanne
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Post by Suzanne » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:11 pm

I totally understand what you mean. I find the same scattering brain power.
It seems to be that I get into a cycle of "feeling" rather than "logical thinking "and the concrete world of deadlines, etc looses it's hold on me.
My mind wanders into the creative areas... which may OR MAY NOT actually produce something.

I must admit that I believe part of this is, for me, is hormonal and therefore not ... hmmm.... a comfortable place to be because it feel imposed on me, like a strong drink can change my thinking. But some of it is purely great freedom of expression.

As long as it is kept in some sort of functioning balance, I am okay.

I do think it is part of being creative by nature but, that creativity is a tool that can be used for a variety of outcomes, some good, some not so beneficial.

So, I can honestly say that... No, you are not the only one.. but now what do we about it? heh... WRITE.
Suzanne

Raisin
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Post by Raisin » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:59 pm

It's the same kind of thing at school, certain teacher's voices send me to sleep! If you need to concentrate then chewing gum is proven to help, but it might be seen as rude if you pop a stick of trident in to your mouth during a board meeting!
I almost fell asleep in english literature today, we were reading Maya Angelou which is great but I analysed the poem in about 10 seconds and then fidgeted while we drawled through structure.

Raisin
In the beginning there was nothing, and it exploded. (Terry Pratchett on the Big Bang Theory)

pitseleh
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by pitseleh » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:47 pm

hahaha im basically constantly scatty, dyslexia might play a part (as might the odd spliff) - unfortunately my creative spurts arent that frequent nowadays.
Aren't people absurd! They never use the freedoms they do have but demand those they don't have; they have freedom of thought, they demand freedom of speech.

juliadebeauvoir
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Post by juliadebeauvoir » Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:06 pm

I daydream in poetry a lot (and in everything else too!) but I find that I can multi-task...so...when our fearless leader at work is rambling off figures or the latest news on the industry I'm either doodling or making lists of words. I am totally listening and then I'm not. I find I can shut out voices if I want to.
My MotoQ cell phone has a voice recorder in it. Sometimes to keep from losing a thought I will push play and recite something in my car. Many times I go to my e-mail and jot a few things down during the day and save it to drafts. My stuff comes in pieces rather than in one single swoop.

Cheers,
Kim
"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you."

pitseleh
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by pitseleh » Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:13 pm

ah to multitask! sigh
Aren't people absurd! They never use the freedoms they do have but demand those they don't have; they have freedom of thought, they demand freedom of speech.

Sharra
Preternatural Poster
Preternatural Poster

Post by Sharra » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:56 pm

I find it fascinating how different people experience this kind of thing - and very reassuring too - thanks :)
It is at the edge of the
petal that love waits

Charles
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by Charles » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:14 pm

Yeah, I have that a lot - of course in my case it developed into a florid psychotic mania and I wound up in a psychiatric ward. Feeling much better now, thank you. But yes, I think it is often the downside of a creative mind. Manic Depression is termed the artist's disease for good reason, and like most mental illnesses it's on a continum with normality, so most creative peeps have a little bit of it in them.

Travis
Preternatural Poster
Preternatural Poster

Post by Travis » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:07 pm

Charles wrote: Yeah, I have that a lot - of course in my case it developed into a florid psychotic mania and I wound up in a psychiatric ward.
You're my hero.

I'm often elsewhere. More so when I''ve been writing, however. It awakens something. Like others though, it doesn't seem to affect my output...
There's only one rule in street and bar fights: maximum violence, instantly. (Martin Amis, "Money")