Avant garde Poetry

How many poets does it take to change a light bulb?
Firebird

Avant garde Poetry

Post by Firebird » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:38 am

I’m posting this mostly for Ray, but anyone else interested in understanding more about avant garde Poetry should also read this excellent essay. It allowed me to appreciate many poems that before reading the essay had completely flummoxed me. The essay has lots of good example of what it is talking about too, from Pound to Prynne.

Although some of us here may have elements of the avant guard in our poetry, there’s no one, I think, who really embraces it wholeheartedly. We are all quite conservative really. Maybe it would be a good thing to experiment now and then with some more of the ideas in the essay.

Jacket 36 - Late 2008 - Jeffrey Side: Empirical and Non-Empirical Identifiers

http://jacketmagazine.com/36/side-j-essay.shtml

Hope you enjoy!

Cheers,

Tristan

penguin
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Avant garde Poetry

Post by penguin » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:59 pm

Hello. Ray has asked me to reply on his behalf. He says to tell you he's busy burying a dead dog at present. I enquired if it was really necessary to mention that the dog was dead, would that not speak for itself? Ray shouted and threw something at me. It wasn't a fish. He feels, and I am summarising here, that when a chap named Tristan recommends he read an article on the avant-garde by a man called Side, which is 10 years out of date, the only appropriate response must be delivered by a penguin. Ahem. Ray says that he is not wholly unfamiliar with avant-garde poetry. He has even read some of it. He calls it, or its advocates, The White-Space Brigade. But just as Ray prefers Louis Armstrong to Miles Davis, Charles Dickens to Philip K Dick, lager to bitter and football to rugby, he'd rather listen to Kate Tempest than read Pound or Prynne. This might be thought an example of his conservativism, though he feels it more likely to indicate an awareness that he doesn't have all the time in the world to waste on things he finds uninteresting. (He would say that, though, wouldn't he? All this fuss about poetry, when the ice-caps are melting. Dear me.)

Yours trudgingthroughablizzardstoically, penguin

Firebird

Post by Firebird » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:50 pm

Hi Penguin,

Interesting to hear Ray’s summarised view. I liked the image of Ray burying his dead dog. I think it could have made part of a good avant garde poem if it weren’t a summary/paraphrase of course. :D If the dead dog was an empirical one I’m sorry to have made fun.
I don't contend that accessibility is all important, or the goal to aim for, there are poems that are deep-layered and reward several readings. More often, though, a poem that looks complex and intriguing turns out, on the 7th reading to be a load of bollocks.
The above quote from Ray was what prompted me to post the essay.

Just because there’s global warming (which I take very seriously) doesn’t make poetry or discussions about poetry any less important.

Cheers,

Tristan

lotus
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by lotus » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:03 am

penguin wrote:All this fuss about poetry, when the ice-caps are melting. Dear me.)

The New Verse News presents politically progressive poetry on current events and topical issues.
https://newversenews.blogspot.nl
“A poem should have the touch ... the way sunlight falls on Braille.” .......silent lotus