Poet Voice

How many poets does it take to change a light bulb?

Poet Voice

Postby k-j » Wed May 02, 2018 7:20 pm

Interesting piece about why so many poets read excellent, expressive (or not) poems in that portentous droning way which drains all the life out of their creations. The Glück and Trethewey examples linked in the piece are egregious, and T.S. Eliot comes to mind as perhaps the worst of all.

The stuff at the end about race and gender seems a bit forced, however.
fine words butter no parsnips
k-j
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Re: Poet Voice

Postby churinga » Wed May 02, 2018 10:09 pm

I spent a full-time year at a speech and drama school, each morning we would recite poetry and be taught how to do it. I thought I had a good speaking voice, but even after a year of this I was still learning how to do it. It is a real art to make poetry come alive when read, one of the most important things is not to read the poem but to memorize it and become like an actor in a play. Most poets don't do this and the result is dreadful. I gave up going to poetry readings I found them embarassing and boring. Even Les Murray, a poet I greatly admire, was hopeless, droning on in a irritating nasal Aussie accent.
I remember going to a pub poetry reading and one poet really nailed it, he had memorized his poem and let loose with great spontaneous acting-out of his humorous poem.
So some poets do get it right but it is rare. I have trolled throught YouTube looking for good poems read well and have only found two, both Neruda poems, but neither are read by him. If you are interested, they are ' Inclinado en las tardes' and 'poema 20', both by Four Seasons Productions.
( both have Englsish subtitles).
churinga
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Poet Voice

Postby lotus » Sun May 06, 2018 7:36 am

k-j wrote:Interesting piece about why so many poets read excellent, expressive (or not) poems in that portentous droning way which drains all the life out of their creations. The Glück and Trethewey examples linked in the piece are egregious, and T.S. Eliot comes to mind as perhaps the worst of all.

The stuff at the end about race and gender seems a bit forced, however.

many thankyuuus K-J

i've shared the article with some voices i know

a warm smile
silent lotus
“A poem should have the touch ... the way sunlight falls on Braille.” .......silent lotus
lotus
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Return to Poetry Discussion