Hi all

If you're new to the forum and want to introduce yourself, this is the place.
Charles
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Hi all

Post by Charles » Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:02 pm

Though I'd join.

I'm Charles (no!) an 18 year old schoolboy (the worst sort of poet ;) ) doing my A-levels (Classical Civilisation, English Lang and Lit and History). I'm not a huge writer of poetry at the minute, though I love reading it. I'd like to start writing my own though, one of my main motives for joining this site was to find my muse, so to speak. We'll see how long it takes before I get the courage to post up a poem for you all. :D

Wonderful site you have here by the way- one of those gems that makes the hours trawling the web worth it. :wink:

And yup I'm from the Reading made famous by Oscar Wilde's "The Ballard of Reading Gaol". The jail's still there and in use too, walk past it most days. Though it's been remodelled, with the old castle wall removed, and is now a young offenders institiution.

So I should get some cred for that before I even post anything. :lol:

David

Post by David » Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:14 pm

Welcome Charles. Interesting A-levels. At a wild guess I'd say you're not going to a state school. Nothing wrong with that, and grovelling apologies if I'm wrong.

Who are you reading? Name names!

David

Charles
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by Charles » Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:21 pm

David wrote:Welcome Charles. Interesting A-levels. At a wild guess I'd say you're not going to a state school. Nothing wrong with that, and grovelling apologies if I'm wrong.

Who are you reading? Name names!

David
You're wrong, but you don't have to apologise :lol: - I'm going to one of the last selective state schools left in the country. We're all boys and we even still have a small boarding contingent. (Though I'm a day boy myself.) I almost certainly would be going to a private school had I not passed the test, and I even spent some time in a private prep school prior to secondary school. So your mistake is certainly explainable.

At the minute T.S.Elliot and Shakespeare, as well as reading the magnificent Greek tragedians in translation for Class Civ (Aeschylus, Sophocles, Euripides). Also with Classics, Virgil and Aristophanes.

Also reading prose in the form of Evelyn Waugh.

Though I also tend to flick through the Oxford book of verse at random. :lol:
Last edited by Charles on Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

barrie
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Post by barrie » Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:46 pm

Welcome to Poet's Graves - You seem to have got stuck in already. I'm sure you'll learn a lot here - there's lots on offer (from a good set of folks).
So Reading Gaol's a young offenders institution, eh? I'm sure Oscar would approve of that!

Hope you enjoy it here.

Barrie

Charles
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by Charles » Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:51 pm

LOL! Indeed he would. :lol:

Thanks, yeah this looks like a great community.

kozmikdave
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Post by kozmikdave » Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:49 am

Welcome Charles

My only forays into Reading have been to attend music festivals. So I didn't get to see much of the town, and too old to get into the gaol these days.

Cheers
Dave
Cheers
Dave

"And I'm lost, and I'm lost
I'm lost at the bottom of the world
I'm handcuffed to the bishop and the barbershop liar
I'm lost at the bottom of the world
"
[Tom]

cameron
Site Admin
Site Admin
antispam: no

Post by cameron » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:35 am

Welcome Charles.

2 of my all time fav novels are: Scoop and Decline and Fall.

C